Paddle Canada Sea Kayak Level-1 Instructor
Dates may change.
This course provides national certification in the instruction and administration of the Paddle Canada Level-1 Skills course.
Mandate of the Level-1 Instructor
The Level-1 Instructor is certified to:
- conduct Paddle Canada Waterfront Kayak, Basic Kayak and Level-1 Skills courses and certify paddlers at those levels,
- assist a Level-2 Instructor on a Level-2 Skills course, and
- assist a Basic Kayak Instructor Trainer on a Basic Kayak Instructor or Waterfront Instructor course.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Skills Certification
- Paddle Canada Level-2 Skills.
- Instructor Certification
- Basic Kayak Instructor highly suggested.
- Teaching Experience
- None, though it is highly recommended that the prospective candidate have taught a minimum of two Basic Kayak Skills courses within the past three years, being the lead instructor on at least one of those courses.
- First Aid Certification
- Current certification in first aid (14 hours) with CPR.
- Paddling Experience
- 30 days in Level-1 conditions (including overnights).
Skills certification prerequisite note: With the permission of the Instructor Trainer, a candidate may enroll in a Level-1 Instructor course prior to completing their Level-2 Skills certification. Certification as a Level-1 Instructor is delayed until Level-2 skill certification and all other requirements are complete. Passing the instructor course will be subject to the provision of completing the required Level-2 skill certification and updating the Instructor Course Report within one year.
This provision applies only to the Level-1 Instructor course and does not apply to any other certification.
Typical Course Length
32 hours of instruction (4 days) with a minimum 16 hours instruction on the water.