Navigation and Day Trip Planning - Tobermory and the Saugeen Peninsula
Techniques for Navigating a Sea Kayak in Coastal Waters - Full Day
We navigate every day, driving to a friends house to watch the game is a great example. In our everyday life we use landmarks such as roads, signs and traffic lights to navigate in our own community. Navigating a kayak safely on the water may seem challenging but really we are applying the same basic techniques.
In this on water course with an online webinar we will cover the following learning outcomes:
- Pick a launch spot based on local conditions
- Create a float plan
- Describe and use the concepts of basic nautical navigation needed for a safe day trip including
- piloting, handrails, backstops, time, distance, speed and direction, and use a chart or topographic map to plan an appropriate day trip
- follow their route during the course of said day trip and be prepared to identify their position when asked.
- Apply these techniques on water using navigation tools.
- This course is a great way to prepare for a Paddle Canada Level 2 or above skills award.
- You will need level 1 skills or equivalent to attend.
This is clinic is inline with the theory and practical portion of a Paddle Canada Level 2+.
This course is for any kayaker, expert or novice looking to make navigation when kayaking simple and error free; this course is unique because it includes both a theory session (classroom based) and a practical paddling session where your news skills can be tested on the water. You’ll practice and complete navigating exercises from the deck of a kayak not on the beach or in a wheelhouse!
All aspects relevant to kayak navigation are covered in this workshop; piloting, reading nautical charts and maps, identifying hazards, checkpoints (fixes), hand railing, backstops and finally ‘Ded’ reckoning, the ability to navigate in poor or no visibility FOG!
For the purposes of this class, you will require:
- A sea kayak, with 2 bulkheads.
- Rentals are available. Please enquire
- You will need a pump, a whistle, and a 15m floating rope. They are available to purchase.
- Dry suits rental are available if required.
- A PFD is mandatory, you must bring your own.
- We do not provide food but we will do a trip planning exercise prior to the date of the course.