Introduction to Sea Kayaking in Current
The Mighty Niagara is a challenging and misunderstood place to paddle a sea kayak. We will use the river as the venue for this one of a kind program. Learn how to paddle in currents in a supportive, inclusive and friendly training environment.
The first half of this training includes a review on flatwater of edging including turns and supportive strokes. The second half is entirely in the currents of the Niagara River. We will start with a small current and work up to a progressively more challenging environment. We will focus on fundamental skills such as ferrying, s-turns, peeling in and out.
- Safety debrief
- Risk Management presentation
- Level 1 Review
- Four Corners (turning under momentum) - Level 2 quality
- Sweep strokes
- Bow and cross bow rudder
- High and low brace turns
- Re-entries in level 2 conditions
- Self re-entry
- Assisted re-entry
- Bow Re-entry
- Launching and landing
- Fundamental strokes in currents
- peeling in /out
For the purposes of this class, you will require:
- Paddle Canada Level 1 Skills
- A sea kayak, with 2 bulkheads.
- We have fiberglass NDK sea kayaks for rent. You may use your own, if you wish.
- You will need a pump, a whistle, and a 15m floating rope. They are available to purchase.
- Dry suits are available if required.
- A PFD is mandatory, you must bring your own.
- A paddle
- We do not provide food
Please note that participants are responsible for parking permits.