Paddle Canada Level 1 - Lion's Head
- Understand the basics of Sea Kayaking.
- Control your kayak in level 1 (out of 4) conditions.
- Learn the following paddling strokes:
- Forward and backward strokes
- Safely recover in case of a capsize. (What would you do if you fell in the water?)
- Wet exit
- Various re-entry techniques (self and assisted)
For the purposes of this class, you will require:
- A sea kayak, with 2 bulkheads.
- We have rental kayaks available if you do not have your own.
- You will need a pump, a paddle float, a whistle, and a 15m floating rope. They are available to purchase.
- Drysuits are available, no charge.
- A PFD is mandatory, you must bring your own.
- A paddle, we will provide an Aquabound whiskey for you to use, if renting.
During this class, you will:
- Get wet.
- Drysuits are available, please inquire for availability.
- Bring spare clothes and a towel.
- Cotton is not appropriate.
- Have fun.
- We will incorporate games, group activities and drills to learn the topics.
- Make friends.
- You will meet a group of kayakers similar to you, at the same point in their kayaking journey.
Upon completion, you will receive:
- A Paddle Canada Level 1 Sea Kayak Skills Certificate.
The course will run rain or shine. We will postpone in the case of prolonged thunderstorms.
We believe that this class should be fun, laid back and offered in a positive, inclusive experience. We will incorporate games, group activities and real world scenarios as much as possible. We will not put you on the spot, make you demonstrate in front of the class (unless you want to) or speak in front of crowds. If that, and the promise of terrible Dad jokes appeals to you, you have found the place to sign up.
We would like to acknowledge that the land on which we gather (Known as Lion's Head) is the traditional territory of the Anishinabewaki ᐊᓂᔑᓈᐯᐗᑭ, Odawa and Mississauga.