Paddle Canada - Basic Kayak Instructor
The Basic Kayak Instructor course provides national certification in the instruction and administration of the Paddle Canada Basic Kayak skills course.
A Basic Kayak Instructor is certified to
- conduct Waterfront Kayak and Basic Kayak skills courses and certify paddlers at those levels,
- assist a Level-1 Instructor on a Level-1 Skills course,
- assist a Kayak Rolling Instructor on a Kayak Rolling clinic, and
- assist a Basic Kayak Instructor Trainer on a Waterfront Kayak Instructor course.
Important note: You DO NOT need special permission to register for this course. If you have Paddle Canada Level 1 Skills, you are welcome to register for this program. We look forward to seeing you at the course :)
- At least 16 years of age.
- Sea Kayak Level-1 Skills
- First Aid
- Current certification in first aid (14 hours) with CPR.
- Teaching Experience
- Paddling Experience
- Significant paddling experience in a wide variety of conditions and locations.
- Candidates are expected to be able to perform all safety and skill items to a level and confidence superior to that of a student taking the Basic Kayak Skill course.
- There is an additional fee of $99 (plus tax) for your Paddle Canada Instructor membership.
For the purposes of this class, you will require: Full List
- A sea kayak, with 2 bulkheads.
- We have fiberglass NDK sea kayaks for rent. You may use your own, if you wish.
- You will need a pump, a whistle, and a 15m floating rope. They are available to purchase if required.
- Dry suits are available to borrow if required.
- Camping gear (Saugeen only) - we have some for rent, please enquire if needed.
- There is no camping on the Toronto courses.
- Food is not included but meal plans are available.
This program includes 4 nights camping if you are joining us on the Saugeen Peninsula; please note that participants are responsible for parking permits at the launch sites.