Paddle Canada Level 1 - Outer Harbour (Cherry Beach)
- Understand the basics of Sea Kayaking.
- Control your kayak in level 1 (out of 4) conditions.
- Learn the following paddling strokes:
- Forward and backward strokes
- Safely recover in case of a capsize. (What would you do if you fell in the water?)
- Wet exit
- Various re-entry techniques (self and assisted)
For the purposes of this class, you will require: Full List
- A sea kayak, with 2 bulkheads.
- We have rental kayaks available if you do not have your own.
- You will need a pump, a whistle, and a 15m floating rope. They are available to purchase.
- Dry suits are available if required.
- A PFD is mandatory, you must bring your own.
- A paddle.
During this class, you will:
- Get wet.
- Bring spare clothes and a towel.
- Cotton is not appropriate.
- Have fun.
- We will incorporate games, group activities and drills to learn the topics.
- Make friends.
- You will meet a group of kayakers similar to you, at the same point in their development.
Upon completion, you will receive:
- A Paddle Canada Level 1 Sea Kayak Skills Certificate.
The course will run rain or shine. We will postpone in the case of prolonged thunderstorms.
We believe that this class should be fun, laid back and offered in a positive, inclusive experience. We will incorporate games, group activities and real world scenarios as much as possible. We will not put you on the spot, make you demonstrate in front of the class (unless you want to) or speak in front of crowds. If that, and the promise of terrible Dad jokes appeals to you, you have found the place to sign up.
We would like to acknowledge that the land on which we gather (Known as Toronto) is the traditional territory of the Wendake-Nionwentsïo, Mississauga, Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation, Anishinabewaki ᐊᓂᔑᓈᐯᐗᑭ, and Haudenosaunee.
We are grateful for the knowledge shared with us by the Indigenous peoples of what is now known as Canada as well as the circumpolar region of the Northern Hemisphere.