Paddle Canada Sea Kayak Level - 1 Instructor
The Sea Kayak Level-1 Instructor course provides national certification in the instruction and administration of the Paddle Canada Level-1 Skills course.
The Level-1 Instructor is certified to:
- Conduct Paddle Canada Waterfront Kayak, Basic Kayak and Level-1 Skills courses and certify paddlers at those levels,
- Assist a Level-2 Instructor on a Level-2 Skills course, and
- Assist a Basic Kayak Instructor Trainer on a Basic Kayak Instructor or Waterfront Instructor course.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Skills Certification
- Paddle Canada Level-2 Skills.
- Instructor Certification
- Basic Kayak Instructor highly suggested.
- Teaching Experience
- None, though it is highly recommended that the prospective candidate have taught a minimum of two Basic Kayak Skills courses within the past three years, being the lead instructor on at least one of those courses.
- First Aid Certification
- Current certification in first aid (14 hours) with CPR.
- Paddling Experience
- 30 days in Level-1 conditions (including overnights).
Skills certification prerequisite note: With the permission of the Instructor Trainer, a candidate may enroll in a Level-1 Instructor course prior to completing their Level-2 Skills certification. Certification as a Level-1 Instructor is delayed until Level-2 skill certification and all other requirements are complete. Passing the instructor course will be subject to the provision of completing the required Level-2 skill certification and updating the Instructor Course Report within one year.
This provision applies only to the Level-1 Instructor course and does not apply to any other certification.
40 hours of instruction (5 days) with a minimum 16 hours instruction on the water.
- There is an additional fee of $99 (plus tax) for your Paddle Canada Instructor membership.
For the purposes of this class, you will require: Full List
- A sea kayak, with 2 bulkheads.
- We have fiberglass NDK sea kayaks for rent. You may use your own, if you wish.
- You will need a pump, a whistle, and a 15m floating rope. They are available to purchase if required.
- Dry suits are available to borrow if required.
- Camping gear (Saugeen only) - we have some for rent, please enquire if needed.
- There is no camping on the Toronto courses. You must arrange your own accommodation for the course.
- Food is not included but meal plans are available.
This program includes 4 nights camping if you are joining us on the Saugeen Peninsula; please note that participants are responsible for parking permits at the launch sites.