Paddle Canada Level 1 - Kayaking
These introductory kayaking lessons are tailored to a new kayaker who is looking to learn the required skill to plan and take their own day trips in Level 1 conditions.
- Understand the basics of Sea Kayaking.
- Control your kayak in level 1 (out of 4) conditions.
- Learn the following paddling strokes:
- Forward and backward strokes
- Safely recover in case of a capsize. (What would you do if you fell in the water?)
- Wet exit
- Various re-entry techniques (self and assisted)
For the purposes of this class, you will require:
- A sea kayak, with 2 bulkheads.
- Rentals are available, if needed.
- If you are bringing your kayak, you will need a pump, a whistle, and a 15m floating rope.
- Drysuits are available, please enquire.
- A PFD is mandatory.
- A paddle.
During this class, you will:
- Get wet.
- Bring spare clothes and a towel.
- Cotton is not appropriate.
- You may want to wear a wetsuit or drysuit depending on the day's conditions.
- We will discuss this in detail during the course. Bring the equipment that you own.
- Have fun.
- We will incorporate games, group activities and drills to learn the topics.
- Make friends.
- You will meet a group of kayakers similar to you, at the same point in their development.
Upon completion, you will receive:
- A Paddle Canada Level 1 Sea Kayak Skills Certificate.
We believe that this class should be fun, laid back and offered in a positive, inclusive experience. We will incorporate games, group activities and real world scenarios as much as possible. We will not put you on the spot, make you demonstrate in front of the class (unless you want to) or speak in front of crowds. If that, and the promise of terrible Dad jokes appeals to you, you have found the place to sign up.
We keep our instructor to student ratios small. Smaller classes make it easier to teach.