Navigation and Day Tripping - Find the Sherkston Shipwreck
- Pick a launch spot from a chart.
- Plan a route for the day's trip.
- Use different techniques to forecast the weather and sea state.
- Pack a kayak for a day trip.
- Learn group dynamics on a real day trip.
- Clean up and properly load your gear to transport it home safely.
- Post an epic picture of yourself inside of a real shipwreck on Instagram
For the purposes of this class, you will require:
- A sea kayak, at least 14 feet long with 2 bulkheads.
- Rentals are available, if needed.
- Shorter kayaks are potentially fine, but may have a hard time keeping up with the longer kayaks.
- A PFD is mandatory.
- A paddle.
During this class, you will:
- Might get wet.
- Bring spare clothes and a towel.
- Cotton is not appropriate.
- You may want to wear a wetsuit or drysuit depending on the day's conditions.
- We will discuss this in detail during the course. Come prepared with the equipment that you will be using on the water.
- Have fun.
- It may not seem like it at first, but learning these skills are very rewarding and a ton of fun.
- Make friends.
- You will meet a group of kayakers similar to you at the same point in their development.
We believe that this class should be fun, laid back and offered in a positive, inclusive experience. We will incorporate games, group activities and real world scenarios as much as possible. We will not put you on the spot, make you demonstrate in front of the class (unless you want to) or speak in front of crowds. If that and the promise of terrible Dad jokes appeals to you, you have found the place to sign up.