Route Planning and Basic Navigation Techniques - Clinic
- Location: Hamilton, ON - Exact Location TBA
- There will be a social afterwards for participants
- Start time is 7:00 PM
During this clinic, we will discuss planning and navigation.
We will cover the following learning outcomes:
- Pick a launch spot based on local conditions
- How to pick a chart
- How to create a topographical map
- Selection of appropriate cold water gear.
- Create a float plan
- Describe and use the concepts of basic nautical navigation needed for a safe day trip including
- piloting, handrails, backstops, time, distance, speed and direction, and use a chart or topographic map to plan an appropriate day trip
- follow their route during the course of said day trip and be prepared to identify their position when asked.
This is an in person clinic and is inline with the theory portion of a Paddle Canada Level 1 and 2. Since we are focusing more closely on this topic, we can get into more in-depth questions.