Route Planning and Basic Navigation Techniques - Clinic
Start time is 7:30 PM
During this clinic, we will discuss our launch spot for our club paddle. If you would like to join on the water as well, click here. Admission is included for those signed up with the on water paddle. All are welcome to join the online seminar.
In this online webinar we will cover the following learning outcomes:
- Pick a launch spot based on local conditions
- How to pick a chart
- How to create a topographical map
- Selection of appropriate cold water gear.
- Create a float plan
- Describe and use the concepts of basic nautical navigation needed for a safe day trip including
- piloting, handrails, backstops, time, distance, speed and direction, and use a chart or topographic map to plan an appropriate day trip
- follow their route during the course of said day trip and be prepared to identify their position when asked.
This is a fully online webinar and is inline with the theory portion of a Paddle Canada Level 1. Since we are focusing more closely on this topic, we can get into more in-depth questions. A Zoom link will be emailed to you.
This course supplements our Off Season Kayaking Club events.